1. What was the covenant that God made with Adam?
The Lord drew to my attention the covenant that He had made with Adam. By virtue of the fact that Adam had been created by God, the following truths were established:
- God automatically had exclusive rights to be called Adam’s God.
- God did not sign a licensure agreement with the devil or give “resale rights” to satan. Even in a natural sense, people retain rights to their inventions and ideas, patenting them for protection.
- Adam had a right to love and obey God.
- Genesis explains God’s patent rights on human beings
God demonstrated His rights to Adam in several ways. By:
- making Adam a replica of Himself
- breathing “His” Spirit into Adam
- preparing a home, food, wealth, leisurely occupation and a companion for him
- testing him in the naming of animals to see how well he would reflect the wisdom, knowledge, understanding, discernment etc of God. Animals come in species, categories etc so this was not as simplistic as it appeared.
- Teaching Adam His Word
- giving him a commandment to obey His Word only as well as the dangers of rebellion
- giving him blessings of the covenant
2. Blessings that come with obedience of the covenant with God – dominion.
When God initially revealed His thoughts about man, he said that He would create him in His own image and likeness and let them have DOMINION in the earth (Gen 1: 26). Here are some important revelations:
- God made man like Him and to have dominion like Himself. God rules in heaven and earth is His footstool.
- The dominion of man was spoken in a command in the same way that God said “let there be light etc”
- The dominion of man is the INITIAL blessing that is revealed and is important to the Law of Prominence.
- Being like God is related to the dominion of man
- Dominion is inherent to God’s nature.
- God established the covenant even before the man was actually formed – this is His prophetic plan for the human race. We are His and should love and obey NO OTHER GOD.
- Dominion meant that God delegated rulership of the earth to Adam and he was given the title of Earth King under God
3. What is dominion?
Radah (H 7287) is the Hebrew word used for DOMINION in Genesis 1: 26. I tracked its usage in scripture and found the fascinating results:
- dominion over the fish of the sea, fowl of the air, cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth (Gen 1: 26 & 28). Since we are speaking in the spiritual and natural, God commanded man to rule over satan. Humans portray demons in the form of fishes, cattle (the Hindus worship cattle); serpents (the Greek demon of medicine was a serpent around a staff), scorpions and creeping things etc. Now do you understand why the serpent was more subtil than any other beast of the field? How about the signs of the zodiac?
- Dominion refers to ruling
- Reigning over enemies, killing them, causing them to flee even when no chase is being made (Psalm 18)
- Ruling over people, the mighty, noble, geographic regions (Psalm 149; Daniel 10)
- Delegating authority to Chiefs and Princes who would rule the people
- Rule with strength – no one would revolt
- To prevail
I gave additional references to show that God gave man dominion in BOTH the natural realm and invisible realm. Humans have learnt how to tame wild animals and harness the natural resources of earth to a greater extent. However, we are still held captive to a tormenter who holds great power and ability to bring people into addiction and death. If dominion related solely to being wealthy, educated etc tell me why many wealthy people are drug addicts etc and why nations are at war.
Blessings and more to come!